Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Germany

View of the Zugspitze from our hotel. This is Germany's tallest mountain.
With moving and all the changes we'd recently experienced we decided we needed a vacation before school started, so we packed up the kids and took them to Germany. They have a wonderful resort hotel in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, called Edelweiss, for military and their families. It was the vacation we needed. There was something there for all of us. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I don't remember any complaining or whining on the entire trip. (Well maybe if I think hard enough, but let's not go there.)

We spent a week there enjoying the cool, fresh, alpine air. So different from the heat of Spain. Don't get me wrong we love the warmth, but a change sometimes is as good as a rest. All of us were sad the day we left and have already decided that we want to go back. Anyone want to join us?
We took a gondola up to the top of the Zugspitze. Here is Patrick and the Girl's on the Austrian Side of the Mountain.


The Kids and I on the German side of the Mountain.
Luke just loved the snow. This is probably the first time he's really played in it.


This is Hohenschwangau, one of Ludwig's castle's that we were able to tour.
Here we are in front, the girls first Castle.



Neuschwanstein Castle. Right across from Hohenschwangau.
We were able to take a horse-drawn carriage to the castle. The girls were ecstatic.

All of us at Linderhof Castle, another one of Ludwig's Castles.
 



The Olympic Stadium in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. They held the 1936 Winter Olympics here.


We hiked this gorge called the Partnachklamm. They would cut down trees and send them down river through this gorge. Breathtaking.




Just one of the views. If you look closely you can see the trail we followed.



By far, the three cutest kids in Germany.
More Cute Kids!




I just had to put this one in.



I just had to get a picture of the homes we saw. So different from the ones we are used to, I absolutely loved them.

1 comment:

Wee Catie said...

Love to see Abby as a ginger :)
Put my name down on the list for wanting to go next time. Looks magical.