Sunday, October 26, 2008

Santa Fe!

The drive from the Grand Canyon to Santa Fe went smoothly, and I was surprised at how pretty New Mexico is. I was expecting deserts and cactus, but the plateaus and vistas are breathtaking. Then, when we made it to Albuquerque the landscape changed and reminded me a little of the Salt Lake Valley, because Albuquerque is surrounded by mountains, and Santa Fe is up in the mountains. It was so beautiful! A little cold for my taste, now that I'm a California wimp, but beautiful.

We spent a couple of days with Patrick's sister who works for the Santa Fe Opera, and got to tour the Opera house. I've never been back stage before, and it was really neat to see the inner-workings of the theater. Plus we got to dress up in some of the costumes.












Santa Fe was really an interesting city. You can tell that it has been around for a long time, and it was fun to see the old buildings, part of the historic Santa Fe trail and the old Palace of the Governors where they still sell Native American pottery, jewelry and blankets. I was really impressed with Santa Fe and would love to go back.












Of course, it may be awhile because I'm sick of driving right now. Patrick and I decided that we were tired of traveling and just wanted to be home, so we drove from Santa Fe, NM to San Diego, CA in one day. I know, that's crazy, but when we started out it seemed like a sane idea. Let's just say we all made it home in one piece, and leave it at that.



No comments: