Sunday, October 12, 2008

Where Did That Come From?

Kids are really smart. And they pick things up without you even knowing it, and as they get older they pick things up from other people too. I think that's when we get to the point where we realize that kids really do "say the darndest things!" I had an experience like this just the other day. Friday afternoon the girls and I drove home from the gym and decided to stop off at our mailbox since it isn't attached to our house and is actually down the street. As I pulled up to the box and got out I limped a little because I froze up after the drive home. As I was getting back into the car Erin and I had a conversation that went like this:

Erin: "Mommy, you're old!"
Me: "What did you say?"
Erin: "Mommy, you're old!"
Me: "Did you say I was old?"
Erin: "Yup,. . . Mommy, you're old!"
Abby: Laughing hysterically
Me: Stunned silence

I can only assume one of two things: that they saw me limping to the mailbox and somehow deduced that old people limp, or they really do understand old and apparently think I am. Seriously, I have no idea where they got the idea to call me old, so after spending the weekend wondering why on earth they would say that, I've decided to move past it and let it go. Even though they've said it several times since. (I'm assuming they've continued it because they see it bothers mommy. I haven't been able to stop talking about it since it happened.) So there you go, kids really do say the darndest things.

4 comments:

Julie said...

I don't know if I would rather be old or fat (which is what Gracie calls me). Hmmm. Kids aren't very complimentary are they. Why can't they pick out the nice things about us... oh well. They do say the darndest things.

Rachel said...

That is too funny-and there are 2 of them to gang up on you! I don't think you're old at all!

Growinguptogether said...

Just wait tell they call you fat, because they see just a little roll when you sit down.
So this is what you've been up to lately. Looks like lots of fun.

Heather said...

They do say the darndest things and then they say the sweetest things! Gotta love kids! I'm glad you keep updating your blog. It helps me feel like your not so far away.